Tuesday 3 May 2011

Ledall, HEMA and me.

Well, here it is! Another story in my life, an attempt to express the journey I've taken in personal growth through Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) and my research and practice of those Arts as taught by J. Ledall.

For those who have no idea what HEMA is; it is essentially the re-enactment of historical methods of combat based upon surviving historical papers. For many HEMAists this involves a narrow scope that focuses purely on techniques that no one has even tried for many generations. For others, it incorporates fancy dress and stylised concepts of "knightly behaviour", and everything in between.

'J. Ledall' is a signature found on one such document. The British Library's 'Additional Manuscript 39564' which dates to c.1540 AD. It describes the use of a hand-and-a-half sword, a sword that is used primarily in two hands.

For those who know all this, this blog is about me. My introduction to HEMA and why I chose Ledall. How HEMA, and it's community, has helped me grow as an individual. And along the way I'll explain Ledall's methods and techniques, and why I use the interpretations I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment